[Bell Historians] Canewdon John Waylett bell.

Brian Meldon CanewdonBells at xw0LLyL4sg2Nht78AZ0pbSFXN9IAIAYwzKvab62iC99SIZuKht2f9CeJ5eLBeRZL2abtgtIEpiK_DMxGc76KdQ0OxOA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Jul 24 11:02:54 BST 2008

Further detailed examination of the 1707 Canewdon churchwarden's bills
has reviled another document from John Waylett. It is an invoice for
£3 for bell metal and 10s 2d for rope(s), this was in addition to the
£20 to re-cast the tenor bell.
Does anyone know approximately how much bell metal £3 would have
purchased in 1707?

I think that I have also identified the origins of the name `WETHR
IENNENS' cast into the Waylett bell. `Withers Jennings' is listed as a
yeoman, in this case a small prosperous farmer, in Canewdon in 1706.
Apparently Waylett did not have a J in any of the fonts he used on any
of his bells. I will need to look at the rates lists (that also exist
from this time) to establish if Mr Jennings was illiterate as a
signature from each person was required, those that could not write
just used an X. This may also explain the unusual spelling of this name.
Brian Meldon