Castletown, Isle of Man

George Dawson george at vQsst8MOZz1_MXnHZ_XNOVStamf--YkvDWuXy8veBTYE-e8TteC5ONq2bAMStWC6M1r6r_jT35hp31rBPfA98usmyBY.yahoo.invalid
Thu Jul 31 17:48:29 BST 2008

Cast by Luke Ashton of Wigan in 1729, it is 22.25" diameter.

GAD

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Ted Steele
Sent: 31 July 2008 13:40
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Castletown, Isle of Man

On holiday in the Isle of Man I saw several bells of interest and, with
one exception I have since found out all I wished to know about them
from the National Bell Register. The bell that hangs in the clock-tower
of Castle Rushen in Castletown is marked simply Earl of Derby 1729; the
other side seems to have simple ornament and no further inscription is
visible. The castle was the seat of the earls of Derby in their capacity
as Lords of Mann so presumably provided this bell and I have read that
the date is regarded also as the date of the clock-tower itself. Can
anyone tell me any more about this bell please?

Ted