[Bell Historians] Castletown, Isle of Man

Peter Rivet peter at nbIYTwjO3F9jfhffVwwwVcLUI_KvvRkv9iOEHAfrUFLjUJsmho--W5kl5L_Y71IDjUFKz9tnAn68KeNgarxe.yahoo.invalid
Thu Jul 31 18:38:12 BST 2008

Ranald Clouston in his booklet on Manx Bells (1986) comments that it is the
oldest inscribed bell discovered on the island.  He gives the inscription as

Iames Earl of Derby 1729

and on the waist below the border a plaque with:

Luke     Ashton
      (bell)
Fecit    Wigan

The use of lower case inscriptions is a feature of Luke Ashton's bells.
There are a few examples of Wigan made bells in rings but they are more
often found on their own.  They are quite widely distributed though, well
outside Lancashire.   There is a Ralph Ashton I bell of 1708 at Killarney, a
Luke Ashton bell of 1750 at Penninghame in Kirkcudbrightshire and what
appears to be a Ralph Ashton II bell of 1754 at Dalry in Ayrshire.

Peter Rivet