[Bell Historians] Castletown, Isle of Man

Ted Steele ted.steele at cUN7OJvhAk9wvJlt7aPPjBKT5xIagmKZ1AI6AYDB2ozxks1rcgHCbQF1kyFpBPoCdLYiK6Ct-6M0Roey.yahoo.invalid
Thu Jul 31 18:49:29 BST 2008

Peter Rivet wrote:

> Ranald Clouston in his booklet on Manx Bells (1986) comments that it
> is the oldest inscribed bell discovered on the island.  He gives the
> inscription as
>
> Iames Earl of Derby 1729
>
> and on the waist below the border a plaque with:
>
> Luke     Ashton
>       (bell)
> Fecit    Wigan
>
> The use of lower case inscriptions is a feature of Luke Ashton's
> bells.  There are a few examples of Wigan made bells in rings but they
> are more often found on their own.  They are quite widely distributed
> though, well outside Lancashire.   There is a Ralph Ashton I bell of
> 1708 at Killarney, a Luke Ashton bell of 1750 at Penninghame in
> Kirkcudbrightshire and what appears to be a Ralph Ashton II bell of
> 1754 at Dalry in Ayrshire.
>
> Peter Rivet

Thanks for this and also to George Dawson for details of the founder.
Having searched
a bit I see there are indeed a number of bells by Ashton. The picture I
have makes the
small plaque just visible but nothing can be seen on it.

Ted