Fwd: Old Ringing Societies

John Camp camp at DA8UZKr9YU56pdbdOcW3XrjvVZ62cPUQ05KWydrh7_8uP6a6g6F7-nLDxVtpDH2JVk-c6b3iqt7Lk4Ip.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jun 21 15:51:11 BST 2008

This is a forwarded message
From: Tony Lees <littlebobmajor at A4REFH4DV8Q6-l7ZOmdMtc61ZMHz1JWMn-cWPk6I5rrWvUwQRCV1QoXKXd_8-wDIxc2w6DRpRwmed12oIrjKQMvB5pY.yahoo.invalid>
To: ringing-chat at UuHTKBJp5_5Q96xGaoxbcFoRG1_7J8s49DgLFGweXl6_W38Ax5x89fTvwmAE1qyfBhPG0BPxcw7MEvm_9NVfnr43DcnTYgg.yahoo.invalid
Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 11:28:34 AM
Subject: [r-c] Old Ringing Societies

Earlier in the year there was some discussion about which were the
oldest ringing societies.

I have started a section on the ringing wiki

http://www.bellringers.org/ringwiki/index.php/OldSocieties

If you have more information either let me know or update the wiki
yourself.

One reference has been "The History and Art of Change Ringing by
Ernest Morris 1931" in which he refers to:

Saffron Walden (Essex) Society (1623) (P141)
"This is the oldest local company of the present day."
This seems to discount the Lincoln ringers' claim to the oldest.

The Norwich Scholars (P182)
"Early years of 18th Century" "Re-established May 4, 1884" (P183)

Bedford Ringers (1655) (P246)

Are these still alive and active?

I am not on the Historian's list and am only posting this to Change
Ringers and Ringing Chat. If anyone does put this onto Historians a
summary back here may be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
--