[Bell Historians] Tintinnalogia by Echo Library

Edward W Martin edwardwmartin at pCcKwbWOodGAGwItlRbkFGYa5r4E58F6isUKlHOkflsvfWdRZLWfS9P24PeBs_Rhj5x563P65gKJcIuK3Q.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 5 11:09:44 GMT 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Alan Ellis <alan_ellis at ...>
wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Sorry, I should have said that it is in plain English using the
original
> language but missing out the long F for an S, etc.
>
> Although I have not checked, I would say that it is copied from the
> Gutenberg web site.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Alan

I have used Google Book Search which has a collection of various old
books which have been photographed.
Google offers the choice of reading the photo image as is, or
in 'plain text'
I assume that the plain text version is derived from the photo image
by using some computer program that guesses at image type
and 'translates' this into actual type, because very often, a slight
blur on the original image will be translated as almost anything that
the computer thinks it might be.

Again, I presume that the original Gutenberg online version of The
Tintinnalogia, was originally photographed and then put through this
translating process because, when it first came out, I noticed the
title page referred to "The Archer" which actually should have
been "Tho Archer" (with the 'o' in superscript) I notified them but
with no response. I just checked today & they have corrected this
with a note that they have also 'corrected' several type errors which
they have underlined (highlighted). The majority of these are
corrections of their own translation errors rather than of the
original type set

Again I presume that the press in question has downloaded this
Tintinnalogia and printed a hard copy, though why anybody would buy
it when they can get the same thing online, beats me

Eddie Martin