[Bell Historians] Radford Semele

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at E1pvKafrv0Vkt9ksHpfEjDGY3Qe7au5IJp282OgDSpsY0qeOIhgDfWTf__5lr61NbokK3z_h3EJm51S2bZmS9VRjbQNVC7A.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 17 14:13:18 GMT 2008

ADH says "Presumably the loss of two late 20th century Taylor bells is acceptable."

Not at all - but perhaps not quite so noteworthy as the historic losses (does that get me off the hook!)

A point I didn't make is that a combustible old frame above the new installation - and supported only on hawsers from the roof - is quite likely to have compounded the fire damage to whatever was below. There was quite a lot of timber up there - in the frame and in the roof - and once the fire reached the top of the tower it most likely crashed down.

Let's hope some of the historic fabric is salvageable - but this doesn't give much cause for optimism

CP