pre-2004 Writtle bells

David & Mary Kelly keltek at mQIVbxOXEpMZz0x8cjxEmMbpM2_8t5KyKtv1hG5tVtxFxDIl5iGnV858L8Nt4nuUnc9QRQ6UxVJq697e5IQ.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 18 12:39:09 GMT 2008

David Bryant asked about the location of the old 7th bell. The Whitechapel bellfoundry took it from the Keltek Trust in part payment for the bell that is now the treble at Bredon, Worcestershire. This was in January 2005; in October 2006 the WBF put it on offer to a Winery in New Zealand. We don't know if it was used there.

Of the other bells the front six were tuned to become the back six of an eight and were purchased by the University of Washington for installation at the campus in Seattle. These bells are not going to be used there as a much lighter ring has been cast and will be installed shortly. Although the KT found an alternative home for them in Sydney, NSW there is an as yet unresolved dispute over the resale price. What will happen to them I do not know.

As reported last week the tenor bell will hopefully be used at Horton, Gloucestershire. As Matthew Higby correctly mentioned it is being donated by the Keltek Trust and will save the parish a considrerable sum of money and hopefully give a much better sounding ring than would happen if the existing tenor was weld repaired or the ring remodelled.

Dave