[Bell Historians] Gillett and Johnston

David Cawley dave at Syj3PQfalDCCB7NjIf66dMV2I3V54XkWXFIOzJy1vN8aQz6AQI7SMSbcpowOxWFId3JBSivafpo3UcRtJFCtoKxmRAE.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 28 15:24:37 GMT 2008

Amazing how long it took for the contribution below to come through on site. I was not of course attempting to steal CJP's thunder, and sent it off at 10.55 a.m. It appeared at 14.04!

It does however give the opportunity to correct two typos: of course, Cranleigh are 8 bells, not 6, and the completed carillon at Aberdeen is 48 bells not 47.

The article in the RW which CJP mentioned also contained a complementary article by myself - Andrew Higson expressed himself pleased that they had appeared together, apparently quite by coincidence.

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Cawley
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 11:05 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Gillett and Johnston

  The last complete ring was Cranleigh, Surrey (6, 16-2-22 in F), cast in 1954, but they were hung in the old frame with part new fittings.

  I think that the last complete ring with all new fittings in a new frame is Halifax (12), as far back as 1951.

  The massive job of providing a new carillon with all new framework, transmission and clavier for St Nicholas, Aberdeen (36+1 bells) and later augmenting it to 47 took place in 1952 & 54, and the heavy chime of 8 (28-0-15 in Eb) for Hong Kong Cathedral, complete with chinming frame and clavier, took place in 1953.

  The back three at Calgary were cast at Croydon and sent out with frame for eight in 1955, but the front five were cast by Taylors though tuned, fitted and hung by G&J.

  I think that the last two bells to be cast at Croydon were the two trebles in five (nor 2 & 3 in 6) at Stoke d'Abernon, the "inauspicious date" when the Croydon furnaces were last tapped being 23rd July 1955.

  The ring of six at Goxhill, Lincolnshire was cast by Taylors, but tuned, fitted and hung in a new frame by G&J, and Addington was much the same excepting that three of the bells are old ones.

  DLC