[Bell Historians] Ships Bells

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at XQOTK69FD8tUmawi5C8s7Q4wvgXjM4iPFHUrvPC-UES2A5u5gJfDsHbbGW6COanmepulBhpdstwNkPAntH657VwVBC8.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 10 09:47:08 GMT 2008

By the nature of the shape of a submarine, do they not have tubular bells?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Allan Yalden
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:20 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Ships Bells

  Bells on ships are maintained as 'Trophies, and along with other silver / gold items engraved with the ships name passed via the RN Trophy store on to the next ship of the same when  newly commissioned.

  There are some very historic items floating about when you consider names such as ARK Royal have been used for nearly as long as the RN has existed.

  Another traditional use for ships bells are inverted  as fonts for Christenings of babies born to ships crews families, the names of babies christened on board in the ships bell are engraved on the bell.
  I was serving on board HMS Decoy ( Daring Class destroyer) in 1969 and lucky enough to have him christened in the Captains cabin with his Mum, and both set of Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles for quite a unique experience.