[Bell Historians] Bell Ropes.

Edward W Martin edwardwmartin at wOUY7HUO2sL-W4K2nr1KoECKlEgrGRcK8JRGuqOy8rE9fwb3_jrDJA2IsdBTSuZoYZQg38pXhNKMmqTl_-E.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 17 11:20:02 GMT 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Anne Willis" <zen16073 at ...>
wrote:

> Alan Buswell wrote
> 'One has heard of many instances of Bell Yard or Bell Field where
itinerant
> bell founders cast their bells but how frequent do we find examples
of the
> above?'
>
> The name Bell Field may also have been given to land whose rent was
used to
> maintain the bells.
> There was some land at Hilperton Marsh, near Trowbridge, which was
given for
> the maintenance of Trowbridge bells by a grateful person who had
lost his
> way and was guided home by the sound of Trowbridge bells.  The
visible
> reminder of this is 'The Ring of Bells' B&B, Marsh Road, Trowbridge.
>
> Anne

In the Leicestershire village (Great Bowden) where I grew up, we used
to ring once a year for 'bogmire night' and were given a shilling for
doing so. The tale was identical to Anne's , However, on the wall in
the choir there is a plaque with words to the effect that interest
from the field was to be paid annually to the bell ringers for
celebrating deliverence from 'Papish idolatury'

Nontheless, we all referred to it as 'bogmire night' I must ask my
brother if they still get the shilling ( 5 new P !) which when first
granted would have been a significant amount

Eddie Martin