[Bell Historians] Retunes

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at vS6kPWkRDCBEZ0Lq27C6laK3Q8ttoVwzzXIxWv3tX8CsPlXuNBdC0pNbX8pbe2AQrq8FMrHzh7AZfB8w3DXw.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 24 20:21:44 GMT 2008

Thanks, Andrew - it certainly gives a little insight. No doubt a lot of it
is down to experience.

Presumably the profile of the bells is an important factor - I should think
that no one would consider trying to get, for example, a 19th century Mears
bell tuned to true-harmonic, though I seem to recall that something along
those lines was tried in 1903 on the back eight at Isleworth, with limited
success. I know of a few instances of Rudhall rings being retuned to near
true-harmonic; I find it particularly intriguing that while the tenor at
Michaelston-Y-Fedw (Rudhall 1782) was a sour old-style bell pre-tuning, its
neighbour the fifth had all partials quite close to true-harmonic.

I would be interested to know the details of how shape and thickness affect
the balance and relationship of the partials, and how they are tuned.
Perhaps this could be the subject matter for Bill Hibbert's next phase of
research?

Andrew Bull

  _____