[Bell Historians] McShane bells in the British Isles

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at WjEMwAtGExLBO_WKFBm2L4cup2hlDQKwo4pTr3SIhfWQ7LBB2cgoAqa0r7aWDKtZcr8IFAX0VEGCREzS.yahoo.invalid
Tue Nov 25 19:11:46 GMT 2008

Thanks to Chris and Andrew for their very informative replies.  It is
very interesting to see an American bell described in British
bell-hanging terminology!

The description of the bell at St.Anne's as having a "button head" is
perhaps not quite accurate.  As the sketch of the former Heaton
Norris bell indicates, McShane bells have a conical neck, which fits
into a conical socket in the cast-iron yoke (stock).  There is a
single center bolt.  The intent of this patented design was to permit
the bell to be rotated on its axis with relative ease, thus
presenting a fresh striking surface to the clapper.  (The
Meneely/Troy bellfoundry used a similar design.)  In practice, such
rotation of bells was not common, but neither was it rare.

Carl

_____
_____

_____