Bell diameters

Mike Chester mike at EY_Sopef64VtL_yzYJHcdkBIBk-orS34K8JpYnhue0j7A6pmlpAk1D9zfiOgWehEMrKF0wojW8FGP0eRcdRzgLzL.yahoo.invalid
Wed Oct 1 11:56:36 BST 2008

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX
GALILEO, UK)" <Roderic.Bickerton at ...> wrote:

>  The latest Dove policy, regarding PNBR:
>

> "Our software has now been re-designed in such a way as to ignore,
> automatically, changes in diameter of less than 1.5%"
>

> I submit this is appallingly crude, not acceptable.
>
> It represents about 3/4" of an inch on a 24cwt bell.
>
> It is about 3 times to lax, 0.5% is not exactly difficult to
achieve,

> for a well made and undamaged bell.
>

> Why corrupt or refuse good data just to avoid having to comment
bells
> which due to poor casting or skirting produce excess variation
depending
> on where they are measured?
>

> Its seriously unjustifiable, in comparison to the tiny changes of
weight
> or pitch accepted, being equivalent to about 1cwt on a 24cwt bell.

There were some very small differences being entered into the system
that could, more than likely than not, be the result of inaccurate
measuring in a confined space or, perhaps, a tape measure that was
not as precise as it might be.  John does change things that come
from the bellhangers/foundries.

Weight changes are very often from research into foundry records,
when bells are rehung and re-weighed or from weight charts supplied
from foundries and are therefore different from diamater changes. I
know of only one occasion* when a bell has been weighed locally in a
tower and there cannot be many more than this

(Clue - it is currently lying in its pit!)

Mike