[Bell Historians] G&J bell tops

Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX GALILEO, UK) Roderic.Bickerton at gQKD1RZftmOnXlE8Fz8FGYS1EK7RHWRsaIAqbydm2nRK45flw7Rl1yKkm9kKc8fXCZuyHt9CaS365p0_dE8Z6CVCUTkaeENZ2-1y62M.yahoo.invalid
Thu Oct 2 12:17:36 BST 2008

Thanks to John for putting the mater in proper context.

Uncounted years ago someone long forgotten told me the tops were normal,
obviously wrongly.

I wouldn't have a clue.

Taking Mathew's comment as correct,

I had a count up on the list; there are about a dozen rings of 10 or
more with G&J trebles post 1925.

I propose contacting those towers, if no more flange tops are revelled,
Watford is probably an isolated error.

If significantly more are discovered, then it would be worth asking a
few 8's in the date range, and with similar weight trebles.

Regarding the reason for a raised flange, I have been told the tuning is
slightly moved by the tightness of flat head crown bolts. Also bolting a
flat head to a pad would damp any excitations spreading into the crown.

Could a raised flange be an attempt to improve the brightness of smaller
bells, particularly if they are of a heavy scale for inclusion in a big
ring?

The "Gas Accumulator Co" list from Alan is a puzzle to me. Lots of 410
HZ (G) and a lot of F bells.

What were they for, what became of them?

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14 3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132