[Bell Historians] G&J bell tops

Richard Offen richard.offen at 3aI2yTinVmM-__RiXMlmFXFJ2Qw83IalvJBD1xsTFa9N91298L21BO3OFMM9tUrDOm_BEynIhGFtN9UagxTIia5rgPeh.yahoo.invalid
Thu Oct 2 13:09:31 BST 2008

Regarding the reason for a raised flange, I have been told the tuning is

slightly moved by the tightness of flat head crown bolts. Also bolting a

flat head to a pad would damp any excitations spreading into the crown.

Could a raised flange be an attempt to improve the brightness of smaller

bells, particularly if they are of a heavy scale for inclusion in a big

ring?

I very much doubt it; I think it was more for convenience of hanging.

The "Gas Accumulator Co" list from Alan is a puzzle to me. Lots of 410

HZ (G) and a lot of F bells.

What were they for, what became of them?

They were buoy bells .most are probably now on the ocean bed!