[Bell Historians] Riverside bass bell

David Cawley dave at hoCpkIS7jpQNtR6h1VL3Q7oV6pwqw96vdqBTsvcM3v7GguG3KcW7Y0dB7eXPBfQDcCt-txcVU2bbMnS-flhzaqgf-6M.yahoo.invalid
Thu Oct 9 08:48:05 BST 2008

The swinging bell which does exceed the Riverside Bass bell is the Milennium Bell at Newport cast by Paccard at the Fonderie de l'Atlantique - which I am pretty sure has not been tuned, and is in any case not part of a chime or carillon. So the Riverside C closely followed by Chicago's superb C# are not only the two largest carillon bells, but if I am correct, remain also the two largest tuned bells.

DLC
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: jimhedgcock
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 8:14 AM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Riverside bass bell

  Some little time ago I asked if this was still the largest tuned bell
  in the world. The response was that it was. I had some exam
  invigilation yesterday when there were no snoopers about so I took the
  opportunity to read some of Jill Johnston's Englands Child. On page 83
  it states that the Riverside bourdon was exceeded in 2000 but not as
  part of a carillon. Any suggestions? I was intrigued to read that three
  of these monsters had been cast and rejected - then the first one was
  accepted!