[Bell Historians] Re: Reading the national bell register

David Willis dcwillispiano at NCBB_DJPu1-GuDI_fc4-ZqctyvCeqHILHNcGQtPfGUv-gMXIIb-bO01fGbSiMLxWhOO5opkFCa6VNiQMHDcDrzOy.yahoo.invalid
Thu Oct 9 11:43:45 BST 2008

I would like to be able to supply the details but i live in Barnstaple
now . However , I shall ask the local folk if they have the kit to record
all the bells .

Sonning was , I believe , in 1912 the first major restoration Taylors
did in Berkshire . 3 cracked trebles recast , cannons off , new frame
and the sound is very much as you would expect . Had the same job
come up today , maybe the trebles would be welded , the cannons
retained and the Knight bells not allowed to be tuned .

Perhaps then , both Sonning and Thatcham represent an example
of the bell tuners art that cannot be repeated ?  If thats the case then
I would have thought that any maiden bell of that age would be listed .

Thanks.

David