c1280 Clock bell at Sonning

dcwillispiano dcwillispiano at J2_8LP9P0DABepMGSlvndFFdk0cgA78-s9bH74cBz_fcqdMT7GojN4rmOI6LM2nhmtNBQXb1VozBt6i9FQlavyfq.yahoo.invalid
Sun Oct 19 22:58:08 BST 2008

Can someone point me in the direction of further reading please .

Fred Sharp descibes this bell on pages 246-8 of Church Bells of
Berkshire . It belongs to a group of bells having a hook armed cross
including Enborne , Berks ; West Thorney , Sussex ; Sarnsfield ,
Herefordshire ; Llanallgo , Anglesey ; Netherwent , Monmouth and
Bristol Cathedral . They were formed by the "cire perdue" process but
I dont know what that is .

There is a link between Sonning and West Thorney with Exeter which is
where he considers that these bells may have been cast .

Some years have passed since Fred died and its possible that someone
has unearthed new facts . I would like to know something of its
history .

 Sonning had its own Bishop at one time but the see was transfered to
Salisbury .

David Willis