[Bell Historians] c1280 Clock bell at Sonning

David Willis dcwillispiano at rKcbJELtPkScIH6kLrmyETAtvTv4U8cxbzFVRKDZ0dWgBVcMmMeTNVyfISvT_CmCxBDoue6OAJ5PPJ3vcdw.yahoo.invalid
Sun Oct 19 23:13:28 BST 2008

I was well caught out there . I would naturally assume it was cast by lost wax .
Latin I dare say .

David

--- On Sun, 10/19/08, David Bryant <davidbryant at SYDvPvvwh_Or9R5McdUd20-rs7BF81WTtgy9ZoNcdaUuglpIC8LoOKOAl4w2JaMVQYQSQhXdjZG-sF2quooMAA.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

From: David Bryant <davidbryant at SYDvPvvwh_Or9R5McdUd20-rs7BF81WTtgy9ZoNcdaUuglpIC8LoOKOAl4w2JaMVQYQSQhXdjZG-sF2quooMAA.yahoo.invalid>
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] c1280 Clock bell at Sonning
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, October 19, 2008, 11:04 PM

“They were formed by the "cire perdue" process but I dont know what that is .”
Lost wax. The mould will have been made using a model of the bell, either made entirely of wax of or sand or loam with the inscription formed using wax. Current English founders generally make the moulds using a strickle and stamping the inscription into the inside of the cope, but the lost wax method is still in use on the continent – I believe Eijsbouts use it.

http://mail.yahoo.com