[Bell Historians] c1280 Clock bell at Sonning

Richard Offen richard.offen at hj4xdaf9wuUbGv7XvbAFAUniUTnug7sGFdM3M4Iv8njBu_3kmb3hVqmiKnTf_2o2r7pHLACaN5AwsWlaavN3R0tjxsRF.yahoo.invalid
Mon Oct 20 03:04:56 BST 2008

Try George Elphick's Sussex Bells and Belfries.   He gives no name for the
founder, but a lot more information.

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of dcwillispiano
Sent: Monday, 20 October 2008 5:58 AM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] c1280 Clock bell at Sonning

Can someone point me in the direction of further reading please .

Fred Sharp descibes this bell on pages 246-8 of Church Bells of
Berkshire . It belongs to a group of bells having a hook armed cross
including Enborne , Berks ; West Thorney , Sussex ; Sarnsfield ,
Herefordshire ; Llanallgo , Anglesey ; Netherwent , Monmouth and
Bristol Cathedral . They were formed by the "cire perdue" process but
I dont know what that is .

There is a link between Sonning and West Thorney with Exeter which is
where he considers that these bells may have been cast .

Some years have passed since Fred died and its possible that someone
has unearthed new facts . I would like to know something of its
history .

Sonning had its own Bishop at one time but the see was transfered to
Salisbury .

David Willis

6:02 PM