[Bell Historians] Trinity Church bells, Port of Spain, Trinidad.

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at YGFXtfpnfV-h9etxsISXSvLCFpExIPn_jUY_0YN51GYyOk2nAxrlXhhsI3BB3lKpvxc3xpJgERs.yahoo.invalid
Sun Oct 26 01:26:33 BST 2008

At 16:59 +0100 08/10/25, David Cawley wrote:
>Most of these dates are at variance with the GCNA site; so it would
>be interesting to know ther source for their dates of 1819 [1] 1871
>[1] 1880 [2] and unknown [4].

Source:  RW 14 Apr 1995, p.377, text and photos.  I assume that the
visitor who reported these bells could not inspect four of them
closely enough to see what dates are in the inscriptions.

David, thanks for the information from the Whitechapel catalogues.
None of that information was available to me before.  Your words
"five new bells (two new and three recast) to make the chime of eight
in 1880" are certainly a logical deduction, but I don't see the
supporting evidence in the extracts which you cited.  However, some
amount of recasting is certainly possible in view of the quotation
about damage to the church in 1825.

I wonder whether the 5-bell notation in the 1884 catalogue is similar
to the 8-bell notation in the later catalogues - a summary of work
completed, rather than the report of a single job.  If the recasting
of bells damaged in 1825 (or later) occurred in 1871, and the
expansion from 6 to 8 occurred in 1880, that would fit.  But 1819
remains unexplained.

Anybody have a friend in Trinidad who could go look for us?  ;-)

Carl
GCNA Webmaster

P.S.  From elsewhere on the Web:  Trinity Church became Trinity
Cathedral, and in 1930 the British colonial government gave to
Trinity a tower clock; it was accompanied by a "Westminster
eight-bell chime system" given by a ship's captain in memory of his
wife.

P.P.S.  I'd love to know which Catholic Church got an octave in 1830,
and whether it survives!