[Bell Historians] restoration or improvement, was Bishopesgate

David Bryant David.Bryant at ahVR8il9iQJN20cKFY4ZY5tK73QNcXs4BRQAsk1BnNUtPEhVss20aaJ5mdd6E9E1w5TYMdRFTW7JMEVM_eyJmQ.yahoo.invalid
Fri Oct 31 10:37:34 GMT 2008

"Should mining damage associated with crown staple removal be filled and
the crown accurately re drilled?"

This will be done if a crown crack is welded. I know I've seen a picture
of a bell somewhere (think it was one at Pinhoe, Exeter), where it had
been necessary to heavily cut the crown due to cracks, and when repaired
the bell was given a raised flat area on the crown, like a modern
canonless bell has. From other welded bells I've seen, this doesn't
appear to be common - most seem to be repaired with a slightly domed
crown.

"I believe technically it is possible to replace the cannons, if it is
possible to obtain the information necessary to make a decent replica."

Wasn't that done with one of the Barwell bells at Lydbury North in
Shropshire? If some of the canons are still present (as I believe was
the case on the bell here) they can be used as a pattern to cast
replacements to weld on.

David

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=5029388/grpspId=1707285820/m
sgId=14596/stime=1225448715/nc1=5028928/nc2=5349282/nc3=5170417>