[Bell Historians] Which are the top 10 bell & /or bellhanging related boo...

David Cawley dave at 2LXcvyvx07dC3DtGRntHc4jn2Z-nIWHBn2-zAYnEIPk-BaEMZpPASpXf1__1aSOnmlFcfzjCjhPp14_dADOPKaiI.yahoo.invalid
Wed Sep 3 12:13:58 BST 2008

Thanks to Matthew for the plug, and to the Swan Tower stand for selling copies of "The Church Bells of the Channel Islands".

Here are my top 10: I've left out Cawley & Sharpe!

1. Dorset (Dalton) - obviously
2. Sussex Bells and Belfries (Elphick) - and in many ways still the definitive modern bell book.
3. The Craft of the Bellfounder (Elphick) - which is really complementary to 2.
4. Essex - Deedes and Walters (1909) - surely the 'ultimate' among the old county books.
5. Warwickshire - Tilley and Walters (1910) - if you like Essex, you've got to like this one. But we are looking forward to Pickford!
6. A book that doesn't exist: Ranald Clouston's collected Scottish Towers. >From Ayrshire (1947) to Berwickshire (2000) including some unpublished counties. This really ought to be attended to.
7. "England's Child" - brings the incredible Cyril Johnston to life through his bells and his daughter.
8. "Master of my Craft" (Jennings) - the John Taylor Bellfoundry story to 1984, although rather thin on the post-WW2 period.
9. "Clocks, Watches & Bells". Denison. 4th Edition 1860. For non-horologists the first three-quarters can be skipped, but the bells section is a masterpiece of wrong-headed and opinionated dogmatism and invective - especially on the Westminster bells. Yet we owe him so much.
10. The Church Bells of England - H. B. Walters.Whatever its faults, there is nothing to touch it yet. Attempts have been (unsuccessfully) made. Perhaps, when I retire ....

DLC

Note. Mind you, there is always the sentimental attachment to one's first county book. CJP I believe spent half-a-term's allowance purchasing North's Leicestershire. I find it incredibly dull. I myself at the age of 14 spent 50/- (£2.50) on Stahlschmidt's Church Bells of Kent which still keeps me entranced. By the mid and later 1960's, I was not alone, as it frequently had to be retrieved from a still more youthful RCO who shared a similar fascination with the book.