Burntisland

Mike Chester mike at hbCHYK0pxuv52RVVBI5B8kxkwpXozG5A04aS4iYXVfXeAi-vknZPGzbpkYmTS431-LFgRGXnnTIO4eRolSeSVr2BvBOV.yahoo.invalid
Sat Sep 20 20:58:01 BST 2008

John Greenhough has sent me some details of the bells in Burntisland.

He says that the Episcopal Church does not have a clock chime in it,
as stated in earlier editions of Dove, it having a bellcote
containing a small bell in one opening and a large megaphone in the
other.

He does say that there are two clock chimes in the town.

Burgh Chambers or Town Hall (1845-6)
Westminster quarters plus hour bell (around note B) a tone below 4th
quarter bell. Quarter bells sound at least near true harmonic but
hour has clearly sharp hum.

Erskine United Free Church (1900-3)
A true Westminster chime with hour bell (around note C) an octave
below 3rd quarter bell. All true harmonic, added c.1925 with clock.
Also original Wilson bell of 1903, 8-3-10, used for services.

Can anyone fill me in with details of where the first clock chime
might be and the founders of the others?  Perhaps Dove mistook one of
the latter two to be in the Episcopal Church????

Thanks

Mike