[Bell Historians] An Enquiry

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at wL8cCyVQOLufiNIXKyVF0habcuPf701BuyFWC0wIfSwe9nfm2EktFcV5cRZGKgC8xuRhDed-mYlxVIhbgqxO4yyg1rFy.yahoo.invalid
Sat Sep 27 10:19:37 BST 2008

In G&J Tuning Book Volume 9 p87 there is a bell, Serial No. 4466 for Croydon Fire Brigade. Croydon is (was) in Surrey hence SCC. (Surrey County Council). It appears to be recast for some reason, is 10 1/16ins in diameter weighing 1qr 6lbs with a note of A$ 1862hz and cast on 23 Feb 1932.
Is this the bell refered to?

Alan Buswell.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert Lewis
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 4:09 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] An Enquiry

  Looks like an old fire-engine bell to me.

  RAL

  At 19:28 24/09/2008, you wrote:

    I've had an email asking for assistance in identifying a bell. Photo
    attached, and details below. Anyone?

    David

    Dear Sir

    I have an old bell, about 10 inches diameter at the base, with the following
    casting marks.

    A crown, above the letters ER.

    The letters S C C above a circle, whithin which is the letter S at the top,
    then C 9 C underneath.

    I would be very grateful for any information that these markings may
    indicate. Also - how do I tell if it is brass or bronze?.

    (The bell was found with two others in an old coal washery near Swansea in
    South Wales if that is any help.)

    Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

    Regards,

    Jason.

  This message is sent on behalf of The Ringing World Ltd, registered office: Eagleside House, 7-9 Chantry Street, Andover, Hampshire, SP10 1DE (Company No. 1722963, Registered Charity No. 287182). The message and any attachments are confidential. All content is intended only for the intended recipient and may not be acted upon or transmitted in any form by any other party. If you receive this message in error, please contact the sender and delete this communication from your computer.