[Bell Historians] An Enquiry

Robert Lewis editor at LpJ3QmDqHn0wmjyLTUWf7vCWuK6ViiORJY-Od_lbBHbA-WqF544SLcq5agI0gKoI6-HsVS8fV_NbPF8q0iPL.yahoo.invalid
Sat Sep 27 23:33:34 BST 2008

At 10:19 27/09/2008, Alan wrote:
>In G&J Tuning Book Volume 9 p87 there is a bell, Serial No. 4466 for
>Croydon Fire Brigade. Croydon is (was) in Surrey hence SCC. (Surrey
>County Council). It appears to be recast for some reason, is 10
>1/16ins in diameter weighing 1qr 6lbs with a note of A$ 1862hz and
>cast on 23 Feb 1932.
>Is this the bell refered to?

It has seems to have a royal cypher (ER and a crown) - that would
make it either much earlier or later than 1932. My guess is later - 1950s?

The cypher would also suggest that it was not manufactured for a
private company. Incidentally, there is a similar bell for sale at
the moment at an architectural salvage yard in Hungerford and I have
seen others.

RAL