[Bell Historians] First World War memorial bells

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at rnRfuXmTlicvT8W0v-Ikdksde5Ivy3gJt2-LE6kYvX60RRodm_GF_3J2sf2Ol0vfjmjpk-9zrVRLkVdIumwTygLkYswN7MheWbU.yahoo.invalid
Sat Aug 1 07:01:07 BST 2009

DLC (va DB) has rightly pulled me up on having said that the bells at Bishop Latimer's, Birmingham, were not a war memorial peal.

I only checked the inscriptions on the bells - which, incidentally, do not make any mention of the fact that the bells were a World War II memorial - but, as David says, there is a plaque in the church that states:  THE PEAL OF BELLS FORMERLY IN / ST.JOHN'S, DERITEND, IS HUNG IN / THIS TOWER IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO / FELL IN THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945

It was a rather late memorial, as the bells were not cast until 1958. They were dedicated on 20 April 1959.

They key thing, though, is that the original topic was rings cast as a memorial to those who died in the Great War, under the header "First War memorial bells", with Mark Walker asking "Does anyone on the list happen to know of any rings of bells that were cast as a First World War memorial? There has been talk in my area of ringing a quarter or peal for Henry Allingham and Harry Patch and ringing something on a WWI memorial ring seems appropriate". Pointing out that Bishop Latimers (Perry Bar) should not be included in the list was the main purpose of my contribution.

CP