[Bell Historians] Bell hangers' gimlet

Carl Scott Zimmerman csz_stl at TV2YwHXdhj6tMTAC1I4V530I-irEi1VpbBuW-KWmC5K0lCtuPjBWA5Mor5Hwd3lZ_J6aSemwvdZw0w.yahoo.invalid
Fri Aug 7 22:42:05 BST 2009

At 20:35 +0100 2009/08/07, John H Allen wrote:
>I have found this quote on the web. It seems that we are talking
>about servant's call bells!
>
>Miniature augers -- gimlets, not illustrated above -- were used by
>bell hangers (to allow for passage of strings for pulling bells),

Coincidentally, yesterday's mail brought the Fall 2009 schedule of
Lectures & Tours by The Royal Oak Foundation, an American
organization which exists to support the work of The National Trust
in the UK.  The cover photo on this pamphlet is "Detail of the brass
servants' bells at Erddig."  Not only are the brass bells
spring-mounted in the usual fashion, but also there is a separate
spring-mounted brass disk below each bell, just above the associated
brass-and-black name plate, to provide a longer-vibrating visual
indicator.  Obviously, excellent craftsmanship was not confined to
the public areas of this great house.

Carl