[Bell Historians] Bell hangers' gimlet

Richard Offen richard.offen at UMPmnjOaefAB2673FV195dTeQxGWThUMRF7vi2oYOzBpx4R4AKm1H80uGODdTO2y_Yt_qbddjDeiyLO42LmZiUUnM6w.yahoo.invalid
Sat Aug 8 15:05:18 BST 2009

Many country houses have similar indicator systems below the servants bells.
These systems in many houses were very elaborate.

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Carl Scott Zimmerman
Sent: Saturday, 8 August 2009 5:42 AM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Bell hangers' gimlet

At 20:35 +0100 2009/08/07, John H Allen wrote:

I have found this quote on the web. It seems that we are talking about
servant's call bells!

Miniature augers -- gimlets, not illustrated above -- were used by bell
hangers (to allow for passage of strings for pulling bells),

Coincidentally, yesterday's mail brought the Fall 2009 schedule of Lectures
& Tours by The Royal Oak Foundation, an American organization which exists
to support the work of The National Trust in the UK.  The cover photo on
this pamphlet is "Detail of the brass servants' bells at Erddig."  Not only
are the brass bells spring-mounted in the usual fashion, but also there is a
separate spring-mounted brass disk below each bell, just above the
associated brass-and-black name plate, to provide a longer-vibrating visual
indicator.  Obviously, excellent craftsmanship was not confined to the
public areas of this great house.

Carl

18:37:00