[Bell Historians] Silver coins

David Cawley davidl.cawley at D1ht1O_fCSEAN987Q54nh2jPrBcFxP0GyfLNWvtAqHXdqIXARuP4gJ77yvLuZHG0CSaIxef1Im25Ka4WP3tx-qYSGJA.yahoo.invalid
Tue Dec 8 18:59:14 GMT 2009

So far as silver is concerned, the last British circulation coins to be minted in .925 (Sterling) silver were struck at The Royal Mint in the early months of 1920. The price of silver as at the time greater than the intrinsic value of each piece, and a Currency Act was rushed through allowing the circulating silver coinage thenceforward to be struck in 50/50 Silver and a copper-nickwel alloy. Shortly afterwards the price of silver fell as spectacularly as it had risen, but the Sterling standard was never again used for circulating coins. The banks gradually withdrew the Sterling silver in circulation, which exaplains why people of Rod's age (and mine) seldom found silver coins dating from before the reign of George V; bronze was common, dated as far back as 1860.

He is quite correct about florins (2/-, two shillings, 24 old pence, 10 new pence). Indeed, they were legal tender until July 1993 when the smaller sized 10p coin superseded them, as had happened with the shilling (5p) in 1990, and the sixpence (2.5p) in 1980 and the halfcrown (2/6, 12.5p) as far back as 1970.

But there are two survivors of the old coinage, though hardly "currency coins". One is every surviving Crown struck between 1816 and 1980. The face value was 5/- (25p) and they remain legal tender. After 1901 they were scarceley struck as regular circulating coins, more as souvenirs. Identical size crowns dated after 1980 have a face value of £5. The other survivor is Rod's 3d, i.e. the silver threepence of Christmas Pudding fame. The last issue was 1944 (a wonderful year for births :) The size, weight and composition of these tiny coins is identical to that of the Maundy 3d / 3P coin of the respective year. When the Decmial Currency Act was passed, it allowed for the 3d coin to be revalued at 3P, as percentage increase which must be unrivalled in British numismatic history!

To revert to Bells. Cyril Johnston used to carry a sixpence or two in his pocket, and was wont on his most prestigious and often "star-studded" casts to hand such a coin to the celebrity with instructions to throw it into the ladle, while he exclaimed "Bang goes sixpence" - often faithfully recorded in the Press coverage of the article.

DLC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bickerton, Roderic (SELEX GALILEO, UK)
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 3:08 PM
  Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] FW: HAVE a bell from the 1700s (selling)would like to k...

  Wasn't the last legal tender silver coin a 3D?
  If so you would need about 5 million of them to pay for an average rehang.
  When I was young, late 1950's there were still a few in circulation, and possibly florins (10P) as well.

  I do not work Wednesday Thursday or Friday.
  Please forward to rodbic at ey0qmcaf_RWeGN46a1-TLdKwddOd8V_eWzV1IHA79iyOnhg9ffuqEBEyJl8LaA_driGt2GkzpBeORs1k.yahoo.invalid as well as my work email if you want me to see it on these days. Do not send anything classified to rodbic at ntlworld.com