Clock = Klok = Bell

ticktocktwang declan.maher at lvkfp8iL6NUCjX32lJbUFaP9EB9cyuOn-ISRpNBeoCo4ul-jXWdG0qeBTCznItV_5Ii_rDdcx6hvuUk.yahoo.invalid
Fri Dec 18 23:01:43 GMT 2009

The wikipedia article cited mentions a celtic origin for "clock" = bell.  Assuming that this celtic reference is referring to the fringe celtic lands and not the continental variety, how much credence or factual evidence there is to warrant this word origin is unknown to me.  Interestingly, the tall round towers synonymous with Ireland (many were built between 900 AD and circa 1250  at various monastic sites - they always stood independent of the other monastic buildings) are referred to as "cloigtheach" -  "teach" = gaelic for house and cloig  "of the bell".  For their time, they were impressive structures, soaring to as high as 34 metres (circa 112 feet).  Whether they were always referred to as "cloigtheach" or whether this term was coined much later is again beyond my knowledge. A scholar of early and middle Irish should be able to indicate whether the term was in existence in 900 AD and/or whether the word "clog" = bell in Gaelic was actually contemporaneous with the earlier monastic hand bells. The only point I am making (and it is absolute speculation) is that if the first soaring  clock towers also housed bells, could the term have somehow been adopted/adapted in reference to these impressive round towers?  A few of these towers also exist in western Scotland and in the Isle of Mann.  Pure conjecture on my part, based on the visual impression these towers make even today- in a nutshell, could the word have crept into England  from the west or north if the term cannot be satisfactorily explained as coming from the continent? Of course, Ireland and Scotland might have been considered even more remote and foreign than France or Germany in those times!!