[Bell Historians] Re: St Barnabas, Pimlico

Peter Rivet peter at OItu6Jvtn1pFDGT569C3ndfPv97kioAYpsWrj498fq1LpesdTcJpqnKpz0Dc5Iwr-znpNFdQc49adCevml2xhg.yahoo.invalid
Sat Dec 19 22:11:40 GMT 2009

I think latchet stays must be fairly rare now.  I thought that the
objections to having unbreakable stays and sliders had become apparent by
the early 19th century.  However there were a couple on the back two bells
at Burton-in-Lonsdale (North Yorks) which were fitted by Warners as late as
1870, presumably because they took up less space.  They were replaced by
conventional ones when these bells were rehung by Eayre & Smith in 1998.

Peter Rivet

 > Do you think that the rarity of 'latchet' stays like this might get E.H.
hot
under the collar in the event of a re-hang? I'm sure that the safety issue
would over-ride in this case anyway, but I wonder whether they'd want parts
of the current installation retained in the tower for posterity. Are there
many others like this left? East Bergholt perhaps.... <