Latchet stays, was St Barnabas, Pimlico

Ted Steele ted.steele at puEyBmyExnefh3ttso7wU3IoVRA11mUtQG3cLan2V26E-Jw-fWZRntPA4xNo8G059SyYkgkMQuOt-ErrIBc.yahoo.invalid
Sun Dec 20 21:52:10 GMT 2009

Sue Marsden wrote:

> > I think latchet stays must be fairly rare now.  .

Looking at the pictures of the latchet stay device at Pimlico it strikes
me  that the system would quite readily accommodate a torque device to
prevent damage if a bell bumped the "stay" to danger point. That little
lug on the headstock could readily, I think be developed to incorporate
a device such as is used in torque spanners ,that would flip back if
struck too hard and allow the bell to go over. This leads me to wonder
whether automatic fail safe stay devices of any description have been
developed and used. Any ideas?

Ted