[Bell Historians] Re: St Barnabas, Pimlico

David Willis dcwillispiano at 6GdFqQ6_sTVG5varmXqKmbxbJ6CNzZd6yRpZkJa9ynNj1mCdH0Alx8FygyxLeUm6cb18tOMHqfgOhVKh05xiSXdl.yahoo.invalid
Sun Dec 20 22:15:37 GMT 2009

I think latchet stays must be fairly rare now.  .  They were replaced by conventional ones when these bells were rehung by Eayre & Smith in 1998.

Peter Rivet

Do you think that the rarity of 'latchet' stays like this might get E.H. hot
under the collar in the event of a re-hang?

Ramey in Hunts had 2 on the treble and second. They were replaced by
conventional stays when they were re-hung in the late 1990s. i don't
know what happened to them -if I had been more involved I would have
suggested they were kept in the ringing room as a curiosity but I
assume they were disposed of. The frame was kept thought- the bells
had to be rehung in the existing, inadequate, not particularly
historic wooden frame.

SEM

In this case, as there is only 1 bell without a stay, woundn't it be acceptable
for now to repair or frabricate a latchet for the treble which will last until the
rehanging ?