[Bell Historians] Unpealed UK Rings of 8

David Bryant davidbryant at 9dfHpuZxSFSMXJyhC9h5Q1TCh2btzqtXYgHfuOk-zgo4SB4pYrv5dx8MNz4x4DPj2GtvClaAJyUjAAIvYckOL9rhEg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Dec 24 20:52:12 GMT 2009

"I'd be interested in hearing about reasons for the others remaining unpealed."

"Baldersby"

I've looked at these. On 3 levels (treble at the bottom, back 3 in the middle, others above), and far too big for the tower. Now chimed using electric hammers. There are records of 720s being rung on them with the tenor covering, but they have long been unringable and it's no great surprise that there have been no peals.

"Cawston"

I expect someone (DLC?) can add to this, but I understand that they were a six, with one recast (6/8) and two trebles hung dead added - so they have never been a ring of 8 hung for ringing.

"Leamington Spa, RC"

A very slender tower given the weight of the bells. Long periods of unringability, but now ringable following restoration work. Again, I expect someone (DLC, Sam Austin, Simon Adams?) can add to this.

"Stamford, S Mary"

Long derelict - see John Ketteringham's book on the bells of Lincolnshire.

David

.