Time Team: Salisbury cathedral Campanile.

Brian Meldon CanewdonBells at SO8aOCdF-zd7UA3JgIyoZtQMY-wjz3bOP5OripeXFBs9xjCoDEEpsUJF-4P22reEjWIbJKXhoFltjRAf99TVmQ5DXyvC.yahoo.invalid
Wed Feb 11 08:37:17 GMT 2009

Although the detailed plans for the campanile and illustrations of how
it looked do indeed exist, it was not known what if anything remained
below the surface. In addition plans can often differ from the `as
built' condition. The time team dig has confirmed the plans are
accurate and has established the extent of the surviving remains. They
have also established the foundation arrangements and found the
remains of a temporary structure beneath the campanile site thought to
be a mason's workshop and unused worked stones taken from the
cathedral at Old Sarum. This is all good stuff but of little use to a
bell historian, so in answer to your question `have we learnt
anything' as bell historians, no we have not, but as archaeologists
and historians yes we have.
Brian Meldon