[Bell Historians] Re: Time Team: Salisbury cathedral Campanile.

Anne Willis zen16073 at 41SjGM5sWoMxsEwNxej0uPOCrtH3D_PbjAMaJgSJotTJ2d-y2iMHAV0lHgIWyM8QEurns3jeP-Xj.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 12 16:33:18 GMT 2009

Ron Johnston has been collecting material on the Salisbury campanile for a
long time.  I have sent him some information (or sources of information) but
have not kept copies of most of it.

Not having a TV I didn't see the programme.  Did anyone mention that stones
from the campanile were used to build Alderbury house?

Below is the faculty to dispose of the remaining bells which were bought by
Wells of Aldbourne.

Anne

WSRO D1/61/1C P.215 1777 	[not checked]

John by divine Permission Bishop of Sarum to our beloved in Christ the
Venerable Dean and Chapter of our Cathedral Church of Sarum Greeting.
Whereas you have by your petition under your common seal bearing Date the
eleventh day of January last represented unto us that five of the Bells
which hung in the Belfry and belonging to our said Cathedral Church and were
taken down some years since when the spire of the said Belfry was removed
and the top thereof lowered and now covered in and have ever since remained
and must remain useless that you have lately been at considerable expense in
cleaning and beautifying the inside of the said Church and propose (having
had an encouraging offer of assistance to make further improvement therein)
that it would greatly contribute to such proposed improvement or any further
improvement or Repairs of the said church if the said useless bells were
to be sold and disposed of and the Profits therefrom arising were thereto
appropriated to such proposed Improvements or any further Improvements or
repairs of the said Church we therefore taking the premises into
consideration and being fully satisfied of the truth of the allegations
aforesaid and favourably inclined to grant so reasonable a request Do hereby
give and grant to you (as far as by law we are authorised) our
Licence and Faculty to sell and dispose of the said five useless bells and
to apply the Profits arising therefrom towards the proposed Improvements or
any future Improvements or repairs of the said Church In Witness thereof we
have caused our Episcopal Seal to be hereunto affixed Dated at our House in
London the Tenth day of February in the yeare of our Lord seventeen seventy
seven and in the eleventh year of our Translation
[signed] John Sarum

WSRO 1966/47
	NB [at end] that Alderbury house was built of the stones from the
destroyed campanile of Salisbury Cathedral.

J[ohn]. Waylen 	'The real spoliators of Salisbury Cathedral were Bishop
Barrington and his advisers. . . the lost belfry will ever be a subject of
lamentation'.