[Bell Historians] Re: Time Team: Salisbury cathedral Campanile.

RJ Johnston, Geographical Sciences R.Johnston at Og1hSlZCNlOAIR6wcecsXBnIu5v7EAuJVzuLz1ZJ0xPVn7j7fD0_IAhIQN0cJV2z5hvHs7FjYxKzYppaOhXA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 12 16:37:45 GMT 2009

Not sure I know more than any of you. The programme certainly didn't
mention that some of the stones had gone to Alderbury

ON ANOTHER ISSUE - A QUERY

I have a colleague who is writing a book on the Quantocks and he has
unearthed that among many of the fittings and furniture from London
churches 'evacuated' during WWII, the bells of St Bartholomew the Great, St
Bartholomew the Less, and St Andrew Undershaft were stored in the cloisters
of Cleeve Abbey - for which he has a picture.

he asked if the bells of other churches were similarly evacuated to safe
havens in the countryside - and I had to express total ignorance! Does
anybody know more?

RON

--On 12 February 2009 16:33 +0000 Anne Willis <zen16073 at C-9g64G1vDkycqqo1plbjo-FfrnDqYAZWgricrOeUSkIaarvTF0jgTGhcRQzHAnGshiNxeInPXOP.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Ron Johnston has been collecting material on the Salisbury campanile for a
> long time. I have sent him some information (or sources of information)
> but
> have not kept copies of most of it.
>
> Not having a TV I didn't see the programme. Did anyone mention that stones
> from the campanile were used to build Alderbury house?
>
> Below is the faculty to dispose of the remaining bells which were bought
> by
> Wells of Aldbourne.
>
> Anne
>
> WSRO D1/61/1C P.215 1777 [not checked]
>
> John by divine Permission Bishop of Sarum to our beloved in Christ the
> Venerable Dean and Chapter of our Cathedral Church of Sarum Greeting.
> Whereas you have by your petition under your common seal bearing Date the
> eleventh day of January last represented unto us that five of the Bells
> which hung in the Belfry and belonging to our said Cathedral Church and
> were
> taken down some years since when the spire of the said Belfry was removed
> and the top thereof lowered and now covered in and have ever since
> remained
> and must remain useless that you have lately been at considerable expense
> in
> cleaning and beautifying the inside of the said Church and propose (having
> had an encouraging offer of assistance to make further improvement
> therein)
> that it would greatly contribute to such proposed improvement or any
> further
> improvement or Repairs of the said church if the said useless bells were
> to be sold and disposed of and the Profits therefrom arising were thereto
> appropriated to such proposed Improvements or any further Improvements or
> repairs of the said Church we therefore taking the premises into
> consideration and being fully satisfied of the truth of the allegations
> aforesaid and favourably inclined to grant so reasonable a request Do
> hereby
> give and grant to you (as far as by law we are authorised) our
> Licence and Faculty to sell and dispose of the said five useless bells and
> to apply the Profits arising therefrom towards the proposed Improvements
> or
> any future Improvements or repairs of the said Church In Witness thereof
> we
> have caused our Episcopal Seal to be hereunto affixed Dated at our House
> in
> London the Tenth day of February in the yeare of our Lord seventeen
> seventy
> seven and in the eleventh year of our Translation
> [signed] John Sarum
>
> WSRO 1966/47
> NB [at end] that Alderbury house was built of the stones from the
> destroyed campanile of Salisbury Cathedral.
>
> J[ohn]. Waylen 'The real spoliators of Salisbury Cathedral were Bishop
> [...]

Prof Ron Johnston FBA
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1SS, UK
+44 (0)117 928 9116
R.Johnston at 49VfvERICZmbSW6EbmCRpET6QokZ-CCwg5EGHsJkqriCMtJkXBDZjPrwaJDYCPTc0hB2bf9foSBOVR97V9I.yahoo.invalid
http://www.ggy.bris.ac.uk/staff/staff_johnston.html