[Bell Historians] Early Change Ringing.

Richard Smith richard at Q3EWhn9kCQlf4poXqiKe1_PYrcyf0phD264nOKc7zB70B0Hkojiu_rPL5NQoNU8rzukVDRLpGyTINz3SScP-.yahoo.invalid
Tue Jul 14 10:25:32 BST 2009

Alan Buswell wrote:

> The church where I ring had four bells at one time with
> half wheels. The bells are dated Mid 15th Century, 1600
> and 1623, one has been recast into others. I have been
> asked what kind of (change) ringing took place at these
> times.

By 1623, Plain Changes on four were certainly being
practiced in some parts of the country, and there is
certainly one (possibly two) manuscript containing Plain
Changes on four dating to the 1610s or 20s.  (I know of the
Halesworth MS; I have an idea that a second was discussed in
the RW sometime in the last 10 years, but have not managed
to located the RW reference.)

It's possible that some of the more obscure single-change
methods on five bells given at the start of Tintinnalogia,
such as "Twenty All Over" or "Cambridge Eight and Fourty",
might be this old.  They're both evolutionary dead ends, and
I would suggest significantly pre-date Grandsire (composed
c.1650).

In a similar way, it seems very possibly that other, shorter
pieces of four-bell ringing were in use that have not
survived.  Even by Duckworth's time (c.1631-1706), four-bell
ringing seemed to be out of favour compared to five and six
bell ringing.

The methods may not have been used in a modern way, changing
row every handstroke and backstroke. Whole-pull ringing
(i.e. changing row every handstroke only) was the norm for a
time.  For example, Duckworth states (p54) "this Whole-pulls
was altogether practised in former time, but of late there
is a more quick and ready way practiced, called Half-pulls".

I can also believe that before whole-pull ringing, changes
were rung call-change-style.  Again, Duckworth gives a clue
(p53-4) "All changes are to Rang either by walking them (as
the term is) or else Whole-pulls, or Half-pulls.  By walking
them, is meant, that the bells go round, four, six, eight
times, or more, in one change..."  I'm inclined to interpret
that to mean call-change-style with a conductor telling the
band when to progress to the next row; though it could mean
that the band decided in advance to ring each row a
particular number of times.

I could easily believe that Sixty on Thirds also dates to
the first half of the seventeenth century, as it is
conceptually very close to Plain Changes and some of the
other early five-bell methods.  I know very little about
Devon call changes, but it may be that other pieces of
ringing from that era have remained in use as set pieces of
call changes.

RAS