[Bell Historians]

Peter Trent peter.trent at n2wArWcDjjp9oBzA0SnDEbtqVgweKPu5nqziZz-Z6KmQZnUe8YK5qR3v_e4B1nWVKGHrLQUhcPRa3b1w4zzfIPBigvqw.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jul 17 09:40:56 BST 2009

>From your description I am not clear if the original RSJ is also within the window opening or extends to the outer walls either side of it?
If it is, the brickwork securing the existing RSJ has to be disturbed to remove it to fix the replacement. This then has to be made good before the surface fixing can take place. Surely the building in of the new channel  is just part of the making good process.
If not, presumably the Engineer and contractors have sufficient experience to guarantee the spec.
Does the window cill provide support for the new channel?

Peter Trent
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew Aspland
  To: Bellhistorians
  Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:33 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians]

    Dear Historians
  Could you indulge me with some very recent history (so recent it may be in
  the future) and allow me to pick your technical brains?

  I have a DAC proposal infront of me which includes removing a 120mm by 120mm
  I section steel beam and replacing it with a 152 by 89 RSC (rolled steel
  channel?). This beam currently spans a window opening, being built into the
  brickwork either side, and supports the ends of two steel bellframe beams.
  The replacement would be bolted to the inside faces of the wall either side
  of the window opening and take over the job of supporting the beam ends.
  The "fixings into the wall to be stainless steel with neoprene isolation
  washers. Fixings to be made into brickwork joints where possible." There
  are six bolts proposed at each end of the beam though the bolts' dimensions
  are not given. This is to allow room between the louvres and the steelwork
  for a telecommunications antenna.

  I have reservations about chopping up bellframes to get antennae in and I
  would appreciate the technical people commenting on the suitability of the
  replacement beam. My own feeling is that the strength of the new beam may
  well be equal or even better than the former BUT the fixings concern me -
  bolting onto the surface of the brickwork seems a lot less satisfactory than
  building ends in.

  I need to respond to the DAC fairly quickly. Could members of this list
  please comment on the proposals?

  Thanks
  Andrew