[Bell Historians] Newport, Shropshire

Simon Adams simon at zC11qZNIqkiZhDoxCEUYOZR52BGblehk13VvTn2eJT6qSLNdWzpILRpz4YcbA-HJLe4yYYGPhkUW90K8nYnfU2ybwBU.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jun 29 21:14:35 BST 2009

I recall that Sonning are very fine indeed?

SA

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert Lewis
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 12:01 PM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Newport, Shropshire

  At 08:21 29/06/2009, Chris Pickford wrote:

    CJND used to say that the worst counties for bells (tonally) were Berkshire, Hampshire, Shropshire and Kent!

  I don't have sufficient experience of Kent or Shropshire to comment on those counties - but I certainly think CJND was right about right about Berkshire.  Are there any really first rate rings in the county? Cannot say that I have come across anything spectacularly good in Hampshire yet either, although I like Portsmouth Cathedral.

  Presumably Berkshire and Hampshire have always been relatively prosperous counties, so it seems strange that there are so few good rings of bells to be found thereabouts.

  RAL