[Bell Historians] Muffles

Stephen Ivin s.ivin at AlqB98UswaIX5T7rUTEtMeJYRU-D77zBJn-EnI7Nk0kAYEvPbV6mDR-5isJW7i9ep5IcxcvJ3rYKYJZEog.yahoo.invalid
Mon Mar 9 09:57:17 GMT 2009

I have made and used rather successfully a design of muffle based on
ones made by my old (late lamented) friend Alf Rushton of Luton. These
were simply a circle (or it could just as well be a square) of thick
leather (about 1/4 inch - varied for smaller bells) about 6 or 7 inches
in diameter (or square), with a pair of holes for leather laces. The
advantage of the width is that even if the ties get loose the leather
overhang provides a self-centering effect.

If this is not clear, I'll have to see if I can draw a diagram or take a
photo.

Steve