[Bell Historians] Re: Lichfield

John H Allen john at qriS_hw5c7oOJea24hZUPMA7tqQx_VOqng53OiNKxOOneJIdxo05cVB052qkTQviQhyh-O2-M34E.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 12 18:55:42 GMT 2009

Jim,

The Freemasons offered the money to provide a new frame in 1947. It is said
that the then Cathedral Architect Charles Nicholson would not agree to a new
frame 'because the steel frame would spoil the tone of the bells'! There has
never been any plan to augment to 12.

We have looked at the other tower, which is the Song School, but the problem
is greater than that. The internal design of the tower is such that there is
no bell chamber and no clock room. There is an internal roof at bell frame
level, as there is in the central tower so I guess that the SW tower roof
was removed in 1688. The cost of conversion to say nothing of the disruption
makes it a non starter.

John

  _____