[Bell Historians] Early handbell ringing

Edward W Martin edwardwmartin at BzQbOXUec0tXKrBvStgfIioZQbcDZG2SGyk1w7JaMzNho3aXBmTeUp_uczh4ux11TeXdUa4TwodF8AYQtP6-.yahoo.invalid
Sun Mar 15 15:06:12 GMT 2009

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Edward W Martin" <edwardwmartin at ...> wrote:

> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Richard Smith <richard@> wrote:
> > Do we have any actual evidence that people only (typically)
> > rang one handbell each in the 18th century?  Or are we
> > simply assuming that because there is no evidence of ringing
> > two bells each it didn't happen?  I agree that it's logical
> > to assume only one bell in the absense of evidence to
> > contrary.
> >

> Yes, I do assume only one man per bell in early days. At the moment I can't find earliest references for ringing, two – in- hand.
>
> Eddie Martin

Hello Richard
My note books etc are still in a chaotic shambles even after 18 months since we moved to England from Annapo;is USA. However, I have just come across the following note that I made (from where I don't recall, but possibly the Bell News)
"The first handbell peal ever rung with bells retained in hand, copied from an old manuscript book originally belonging to William Booth" (I never knew a William Booth, so I presume this is all from Bell News or wherever!!!)
"On Wed. evening, Oct. 30th 1811, was rung a peal of 8 handbells at the house of William Booth, Bailey Lane Sheffield. A complete peal of Oxford Treble Bob Major, 5088 Changes in 2 hours and 34 minutes by the following Artists viz:-
Treble & 2 William Hudson, 3 & 4 William Booth, 5 & 6 Henery (sic) Grayson, 7 & Tenor George Hudson."