[Bell Historians] Lost bell of Peterborough

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at IqMCFfz4YTvEG3JMjEL95EkpoZDsMFDsuP8MxMqHuCGTvMe7clXt9y5mH4CuXe0wreO7ueZ1R2_t-aUdsG0ZjUE.yahoo.invalid
Mon May 25 22:54:59 BST 2009

>  As I remember the bells themselves were not truly unringable - there were concerns about the safety/stability of the West Front. This was 'tacked onto ' the Norman West Front but was way out of true and there were tie bolts inserted.  There was also a flue impeding the movement of one of the bells.  When the plan to replace the bells was announced Peter Fleckney offered to remove the flue free of charge if he could have a peal attempt on the five before they were removed. His offer was not accepted.
It is generally agreed that the last ringing on the five was on Christmas Day 1919. After this time the front four were chimed and the tenor rung, but I don't know how often this happened or when it was discontinued.
The fittings were in excellent condition because they had had so little use. Ther tenor had been rehung in 1888 by John Taylor & C0. Several restoration schemes were muted but never got started.

Dove 2, published in 1956, states that the bells have not been rung 'for