Unusual Chimes

Robert Brown ( Robert@qTqN56kMGgOPiW52Py-TWXGb7dV5l_wIfrU6sSPDULq-nDcg8LBKjpf_EnOvleIQXV6fRk83WhSVAzhF2DRpZmE.yahoo.invalid) - Home Account robert at jjQSryXJAcPQ_fjp1iC9S6flIjcZGU1JjMB-ik1lPWZzZ0tIlUePHhHFvFb8nvIcyLERPvypz6tSiAzj98rNulH1PA.yahoo.invalid
Mon Nov 2 17:29:12 GMT 2009

Holsworthy would be my suggestion the bells are superb and the tune
Holsworthy Bells which is played by the Carillon is historically
significant - I have pasted in some more info below - I have a midi file of
the tune which I will forward on to Mark off list

Regards

Robert Brown

The Carillon

There have two Carillons, the first being installed in 1872 at a cost of
£400. The framework for the Carillon and the present clock was made in 1869
by a Holsworthy tradesman, Mr S L Manning and lasted thirty-eight years.
This Carillon had two large drums of seven tunes each which were entitled:
'Hanover,' 'Life let us cherish,' 'My lodging is on the cold ground,' 'Blue
bells of Scotland,' 'The last rose of summer,' 'German chorale,' 'Home sweet
home,' 'O rest the Lord,' 'Holsworthy bells No 1,' 'Morning Glory,'
'Holsworthy bells No 2,' 'The return,' 'The pilgrim,' and 'Trinity Church
New York.' This apparatus continued to function, albeit spasmodically, until
1910 when a replacement was considered. Under guidance of the Portreeve, Dr
Linnington Aish, and a fund for the repair raised £100 by 1912.

The old apparatus was dismantled and dispatched for Germany for a complete
overhaul but the First World War intervened and it was never heard of again.

The present Carillon, manufactured by Gillette & Johnson, was installed at
the same time as the new ring of bells in 1949. The mechanism is a 'one-off'
designed for Holsworthy Church and operates on an electrical micro
switch/compressed air principle. There are a total of thirteen tunes (listed
below) on individual drums and played at three hourly intervals during the
day from 9 am to 9 pm.

The strife is o'er, the battle done

The First Noel

Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty

Brahms Cradle Song

Ye watchers and ye holy ones

We love this place O God

Home Sweet Home

Through the night of doubt and sorrow

Gentle Jesus meek and mild

God that makest earth and heaven

Fight the good fight

The king of love my Shepard is

Holsworthy Church Bells

The music for Holsworthy Church Bells is known and loved worldwide and is
reputed to have been written beneath the large beech trees on the southern
side of Badock Gardens by Samuel Sebastian Wesley (a distant relative of
brothers Charles and John). He was at the time organist at Exeter Cathedral
and wrote the piece as a tribute to the Holsworthy bells. He gave the first
rendering of his composition at the dedication of Holsworthy Church organ in
1865. The words were written later by the Rector's Warden, F J