[Bell Historians] Re: Abercarn

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at Xa0UOaMRJYHnJEFOrbJ7BeAteEDoeztKCjKXcJMLCvGT2UA1ocdQ1pKi4So3cIp-os-ICEjrQTUpvg.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 11 18:49:48 GMT 2009

The explanation offered by the vicar in 1989 was that a large non-conformist
chapel had been built in a neighbouring town, and this church was put up
quickly as an act of one-upmanship.

I think the smaller church nearby that Simon refers to is a Victorian
building known as Lady Llanover’s chapel. When St Luke’s was closed, the
congregation shared this with the Welsh non-conformists.

Andrew Bull

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of sliggoascy
Sent: 11 November 2009 18:36
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Abercarn

I visited this with the agent about 18 months ago. However the owner paid
about £1m too much for it (it is worth minus £250k at best) so I am waiting
for them to go bust.

I have tried hard to find out why it was built but no one seems to know.
There was a theory that it was built in order to be a Cathedral for Newport
but that doesn't stack up. It was only used for 50 years or so before a
smaller church was built nearby.

Originally it had a very fine interior but this has all been stripped out
and it is an empty shell with major structural problems to the chancel roof.

Simon L