[Bell Historians] The case for and against Ecclesiastical Exemption

David Bryant davidbryant at zuK4FfgCtiRa664ctAqQhJcoGjQcqgzZFRDyLMPevCtNjUI-vcz7q6PmlgnbtJdL7tU-RT-FCYte1TBs_Nbxf_yYuRw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 18 09:38:08 GMT 2009

> How about some reforming resolutions to the General Synod?

First you've got to convince enough General Synod members to take up the cause, which I suspect could be difficult.

I'd like to see the CofE take the initiative and sort its own systems out, but bear in mind the following:

- This is an organisation with many thousands of volunteers, which it relies on to a huge extent

- It has no policies for dealing with grievances or complaints of bullying, or matters of disability discrimination regardingvolunteers

- Its only formal grievance procedure is the Clergy Discipline Measure, which is written in such a way as to ensure that it is virtually impossible to invoke, and the Diocesan Bishop has a veto on any complaints made under it. The Measure states that more minor issues (which seems to include most things) should be dealt with 'informally'. No guidance is given as to what should be done if an informal approach fails. And, of course, it only relates to clergy - so if the complaint is against another volunteer there is no applicable policy.

- It is apparently perfectly acceptable to respond to a complaint of bullying by telling the complainant that they should not assume that nothing was done, but the Church cannot tell them what was done or what the outcome was because it is 'confidential' (based on no written policy, of course).

- The second most senior clergyman in the CofE refuses to accept that any of the above indicates a problem.

I'm afraid that this strongly suggests to me that the CofE is incapable of reforming itself, and the only realistic chance of getting things done is through external pressure - either from Government or from the newspapers: the CofE hates bad publicity.