[Bell Historians] Re: Levels of Bell Production

John Harrison john at 4KHULkJfKgnewgAEsukBbsB8nLzKkuGbG4OpXediGqwdtdPjK8YX6eNZChb1xMeEccAifEXbk9_jfU8.yahoo.invalid
Sun Nov 22 15:58:05 GMT 2009

David

> Some weeks ago there was correspondence on Levels of Bell Production. I
> have been recording bells, existing and recast, by founder for a number
> of years. The scope of these lists  is all bells in or cast in The
> British Isles ...

Notwithstanding your comment about incompleteness, do you mean 'all bells
cast in...' or 'all bells still in existence, cast in ...'?

Plotting your figures, even with 30 year smoothing, shows the peaks in the
early 1600s and early 1700s much smaller than the massive peak spanning the
late 19th and early 20th century, which is not what I would have expected
for bells cast, but could well be for bells still in existence, because
many old bells have been melted down.

Regards

--
John Harrison